Attention and respect for the planet (the only one) we live in is a key value that shapes the way we design and source our bags, taking into account the whole lifecycle of the product, from when it’s being handcrafted, shipped to the customer until its end of life. We believe that a piece manufactured to last a lifetime means low impact, less pollution, less waste, and more quality. Our objectives in this respect are: strict selection of suppliers and materials based on quality, animal and environmental respect, while supporting and giving back to the communities in which we or our suppliers operate.
Leather can be, in our opinion, a sustainable choice if used the right way, compared to other materials more easily available to manufacturers at lower costs. We only use leather that is a waste from the food industry (that otherwise would be disposed), and we turn it into a valuable and long lasting piece. Leather can last a lifetime, which means less products ending in landfill and in our oceans at the end of their, shorter or longer, lifecycle. We source our leather exclusively in Italy, where it is processed with productive cycles strictly monitored to ensure a low impact on the environment. We don’t use fur or exhotic leathers, ensuring that no animal is killed for its skin.
Leather is also fully natural and biodegradable, which means no additional plastics that ends up floating in our oceans. This is the reason why we don’t use plastics lining, faux or plastic leather, microfibers or other types of plastics in our bags.
Our metal accessories are also sourced in Italy, in the area of Arezzo, renown for the artisanal production of jewelry and accessories in low volumes, respecting the highest standard in material choices, labor and processes. Our accessories are tested and certified against the presence of heavy metals, such as nickel, chrome, lead.
Our packaging uses recycled cardboard and FSC Certified paper. Our dust-bags are made with 100% cotton.
All our suppliers are small traditional companies, most of the time family-owned for generations, selected among the ones that meet eco standards that are above even the strict European regulations.
OUR VEGETABLE TANNED LEATHER
Vegetable tanning is an artisan tradition that the Tuscan tanneries in Italy have handed down from father to son for centuries, mixing antique recipes and state-of-the-art technology.
A traditional process based on the use of natural tannins, a natural substance that can be found in many different trees and vegetables, in variable concentration according to the different species. These natural tannin extracts make the vegetable-tanned leather unique and easily distinguishable.
Certified Vegetable-tanned leather products follow a productive cycle that is strictly monitored to ensure a low impact on the environment:
- No animal is killed for its skin. On the contrary, the raw hides used by our tanneries are the discarded by-products of the food industry producing meat for human consumption.
- Being tanned with natural tannins, a vegetable-tanned leather object can be easily disposed of at the end of its life, thanks to its chemical-biological characteristics.
- The tanneries have made huge investments in depuration systems and waste recycling that make them work in full respect of man and the environment.
- Today 22 tanneries pass the strict selection criteria required to have their leather Certified Vegetable-tanned leather. They are small, traditional yet cutting-edge tanneries, all located in Tuscany, most of which are family run. The products made with their leather are identified with the Certified Vegetable-tanned logo, and a tag reports a unique serial number identifying the product for full traceability.
- Many of the substances used during the tanning process are recovered, recycled and reused in different fields. Hair removed from raw hides is transformed into agricultural fertilizer; sludge produced by the depuration plants is reused in the construction field to make bricks.
- Vegetable-tanned leather, recognizable from its trademark, does not contain any toxic substance such as azo-dyes, nickel, PCP or chrome VI.
- Vegetable-tanned leather does not contain any toxic substance harmful to man and is highly tolerable for those who suffer from metal related allergies.
* from Pelle conciata al vegetale official website: http://www.pellealvegetale.it/en/
SOCIAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL RESPONSABILITY
Our commitment to social responsibility and ethical values provide the foundation of our business. In making key decisions we take into account the best interests of all the stakeholders, including our employees, local communities, minorities, as well as local and global environment. Our sourcing of raw materials and supplier selection go beyond economic considerations and take into account environmental, social and ethical factors.
Our objectives in this respect are: to adopt a community-focused approach that supports and builds the economic vitality of local communities and businesses, while developing a company culture of mutual respect, passion for quality and attention to the whole ecosystem in which we live in.
We see enormous value in investing in high standards for communities and human resources, fair labor, ethical sourcing and respect for the environment as a reflection of our ethical values. Our small-batch productions and short supply chain allow us to have a direct human relation with the artisan before, during and after handcrafting of our bags.
Our commitment to long-term, sustainable growth is a key asset of MODHER, and we are conscious about it requiring continuous and ongoing evaluation to constantly improve and adapt our business, maintaining a strong relation with our partners who share our values, while giving back to the communities in which we operate.
We engage with third-party agencies to certify our work and help us building a business that will sustain its purpose-driven mission. B Corp Certification, which Inc. has called "the highest standard for socially responsible businesses.", has assigned MODHER the pending B-corp certification, we have successfully completed the B Impact Assessment and received the B-corp certification for startups.
We embrace a sustainable approach to enhance and redefine the luxury concept.
High quality and sustainable material shaped with modern design by expert craftsmanship, to ensure a beautiful product meeting the highest standards of quality, sustainability and care.
We are conscious about our social and environmental responsibility and we want to promote a consumer behavior that invests in a few high-quality sustainable pieces. Fashion indeed is one of the best forms of self-expression. We like providing pieces that communicate strong and modern personality.
It is not just about trend and fashion, it is more about defining a lifestyle brand.
Please send questions and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.